Basmati Rice 1 cup
Ghee or butter 50g
Cinnamon Sticks – 2 small
Cloves – 3
Cardamom seeds – 3
Bay leaves – 2 medium
Fennel powder – 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Red onions big – 500g
Green chillies – 3 small
Mint leaves – ½ cup
Green coriander – ½ cup
Turmeric – ½ teaspoon
Tomatoes – 3 medium
Lemon – ½
Curd – ½ cup
Water – 1½ cups
Salt to taste
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
(2×2 inch piece of ginger ground with 10 flakes of garlic)
- Add ghee / butter / oil to a skillet.
- Add cardamom, fennel, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves and fry for 5 min.
- Add diced onions, slit green chillies and sauté till onions turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for 3 min.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for 5 min.
- Add lamb pieces and fry for 5 min.
- To the mixture, add red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric, and sauté for 3 min.
- Add rice (previously soaked in water for 10 min, and drained) to the pan and fry for 5 min.
- Add chopped coriander and mint and sauté for 5 min.
- Add the curd and continue stirring occasionally for 5 min.
- Finally, add 1½ cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Squeeze the juice of ½ lime into the pan.
- Pressure cook until done.
- Serve with yogurt raitha, sparkling fizzy drink and your choice of curried chicken or lamb on the side.