½ pound chicken pieces
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon fennel powder
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
½ teaspoon ground pepper
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ cup chopped fresh coriander
3 medium tomatoes cubed
3 medium onions diced
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
½ cup water
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a frying skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger and sauté till the onions turn partly golden.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook until soft and mashed.
- Add chilli, turmeric, pepper, fennel and salt, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and fry for 10 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water and stir for a minute.
- Close the pan with a tight lid and cook till the chicken is well done and tender, and the gravy thickens becoming almost dry and sticky. The flavours come out best when cooked in a pressure pan.
Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander. Serve with hot rice, pita or flat unleavened bread.